TRTA Action Alert: Day at the Capitol!
The Texas Retired Teachers Association (TRTA) is looking forward to next Wednesday March 20, when nearly 1,000 retired public school personnel will meet at the Texas Capitol! TRTA’s Day at the Capitol event is sure to be a fun-filled, informative and exciting day for all who attend.
We need your help to let legislators and their staff members know that we will be there on March 20! Legislators and staff members may want the opportunity to meet with you, join you for ice cream on the east lawn, or have a photo taken with you!
Please use this email action alert to invite your legislators to TRTA Day at the Capitol. Click here to send an email to your legislators!
For those of you attending the event, here are the top 10 things you should know!
- Please dress comfortably, paying special attention to your footwear. The Capitol is a very large building and you will do a lot of walking on March 20.
- TRTA MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO WEAR RED! This is the color we have used in previous sessions, and it makes us instantly recognizable.
- Buses coming to the event MUST unload passengers on the east side of the Texas Capitol on Brazos Street. Buses may park along Trinity Street near the Capitol garages after dropping off TRTA members.
- Due to the LONG lines that may form at the Capitol’s east door, TRTA members that are willing and able should utilize alternate Capitol entrances (north, south, and west). (Please be aware that the only wheelchair accessible ramp is located at the Capitol’s north entrance).
- Quicker entry into the Capitol is available for persons who have a concealed handgun license. Please use the CHL line if you have your license with you on March 20.
- TRTA will provide Day at the Capitol participants with all necessary materials and a tote bag. Please bring as little as you need to get through the day.
- TRTA is not providing a lunch for the event. The Capitol Grill is the ONLY lunch facility on the Capitol grounds and it is often crowded. The grill offers a wide selection of modestly priced items, including pre-packaged sandwiches for quick meals on-the-go. The grill is located on floor E1.
- If your district or local attendees plan to arrive earlier and would like to schedule meetings with legislators before the recognitions occur in the chambers, please feel free to make these visits. It is important to know, however, that all TRTA members should try to enter the House or Senate galleries at least 30 minutes before the session begins (the House convenes at 10:00 a.m. and the Senate at 11:00 a.m.)
- TRTA is hosting an old-fashioned ice cream social on the Capitol’s east lawn. Please invite your legislators and their staff to attend. The ice cream social begins at 12:30 p.m.
- TRTA will have a staff photographer available in the Historic Old Supreme Court Room between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to take pictures of TRTA members and their legislators. Please tell your legislators what time you plan to be there and ask if they will stop by and have their picture taken with you. One BIG piece of advice is to give the legislator (or staffer) in advance a list of all persons who will be there!
Schedule of events
|8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m.||Arrivals|
|8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m.||Legislator visits (for those who have scheduled them)|
|9:30 a.m.||Arrive in the House Gallery for recognition (Third Floor West)|
|10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.||Photo ops with legislators in the Old Supreme Court Room (Third Floor North)|
|10:30 a.m.||Arrive in the Senate Gallery for recognition (Third Floor East)|
|11:30 a.m.||Continue legislator visits (for those who have scheduled them)|
|12:00 p.m.||Rally on the East Lawn (TRTA tent)|
|12:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m.||Ice cream social on the East Lawn|
|1:00 p.m.-?||Additional legislator visits and departures|
For those of you who are unable to attend, we will provide another email action alert that you can send the day before the event!
Thank you for your dedication and for being a member of TRTA!