What We’ve Accomplished
TRTA has a proven track record. In 2021, TRTA’s advocacy added $1 billion of new funding into the TRS pension fund! This legislative session we:
- Worked with the Legislature to keep its promise of allocating $5 billion towards TRS.
- Passed a supplemental payment bill that provides eligible TRS retirees with additional income!
- Passed a Sunset bill that mandates TRS to be more responsive to member needs, creates an ombudsman at TRS, requires TRS to report bonuses for its investment team, and increases customer service in health care appeals.
- Passed a Golden Ticket bill that allows retirees who left TRS-Care to rejoin!
- Passed a return-to-work bill that requires TRS to alert educators before penalizing them for minor infractions.
- Additionally, TRTA secured bills on tutoring and TRS contributions and a resolution to reform the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP).
- Now, TRTA is focused on repealing and fixing the horrible WEP and Government Pension Offset (GPO) in Congress!
What You Receive
TRTA also has more than 250 local units across the state. Local units are the backbone of the organization and provide a great outlet to connect with your fellow retired educators.
Our member benefits include discounts on dental and vision products with no waiting periods and year–round open enrollment. Other great benefits included professional liability insurance, discounts on hearing aids, car rentals and much more!
You also receive our quarterly news bulletin, The VOICE, which keeps our members up-to-date on the latest issues surrounding your retirement benefits. Additionally, you receive Tim Lee’s Inside Line, a weekly email newsletter with legislative updates.
Our voice matters in the Texas Legislature! Your membership supports our grassroots advocacy efforts!