What We’ve Accomplished
TRTA has a proven track record. In 2019, TRTA’s advocacy put $589 million directly into the pocketbooks of retirees via a 13th check! This legislative session we:
- Won a 13th check of up to $2,000 for most TRS retirees (to be paid in September 2019).
- Passed a plan that will ensure the long–term solvency of your pension fund and make much–needed cost–of–living increases more attainable.
- Increased TRS–Care health insurance funding by an additional $231 million, meaning your health insurance will be stable for the next two years with no benefit changes or premium increases!
- In total, TRTA secured an additional $1.344 BILLION for TRS retirees and pre–retirees this legislative session.
- Now, TRTA is focused on repealing and fixing the horrible Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP)! Our plan provides a better formula for new retirees and a $100 per month rebate for those already receiving Social Security.
What You Receive
TRTA also has more than 250 local units across the state. Local units are the backbone of the organization and provide a great outlet to connect with your fellow retired educators.
Our member benefits include discounts on dental and vision products with no waiting periods and year–round open enrollment. Other great benefits included professional liability insurance, Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI), discounts on hearing aids, car rentals and much more!
You also receive our quarterly news bulletin, The VOICE, which keeps our members up-to-date on the latest issues surrounding your retirement benefits. Additionally, you receive Tim Lee’s Inside Line, a weekly email newsletter with legislative updates.
Our voice matters in the Texas Legislature! Your membership supports our grassroots advocacy efforts!