In January, the Texas Retired Teachers Association (TRTA) shared this Inside Line article about getting ready for Primary Election 2022. The deadline to register to vote for the upcoming March 1 Primary Election was Monday, January 31.
For the next few weeks, members of TRTA should focus on reaching out to candidates running for political office in their districts and educating them on the issues that matter most to Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) annuitants.
Get Started Today!
- Begin by PREVIEWING YOUR BALLOT and determining who is running for State Senator and/or Representative in your district.
- The TRTA State Legislative Committee has done a great job of putting together a comprehensive list of priorities that we hope to accomplish during the 2023 Legislative Session: TRTA Priorities Document.
- This resource will come in handy as you begin reaching out to candidates’ offices to determine where they stand on the issues. You can mail or email candidates a copy of TRTA’s priorities to get started.
- Share this great resource created by the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) that provides information about the financial advantages the defined benefit plan and retirees add back to the Texas economy!
- Most political candidates will have a campaign website. After previewing your ballot, you can use an internet search engine of your choice to search the names of your candidates and locate their websites.
- If you are not a member of a TRTA local unit already, consider joining one! With 250 units across the state, one is meeting near you and inviting political candidates to speak at their meetings during the month of February. Visit www.trta.org/districts-and-local-units to learn more.
Mark Your Calendar!
Many members of TRTA have told us they prefer voting early or by mail in order to avoid long lines at the polls on election day. Here are the important voting dates you should know if you plan to vote early!
- Early Voting—February 14-25
- Last Day to Apply for Ballot by Mail—February 18 (Received, Not Postmarked) LEARN MORE HERE
- Educator Voting Day—February 17
- Primary Election Day—March 1
Stay tuned to the Inside Line as we continue with a series of articles to help members prepare for Primary Election 2022.
TRTA is the only group that focuses solely on your TRS retirement security! Please join us today!
Thank you for being a member of TRTA and supporting issues that affect retired Texas public school personnel. Be sure to download the TRTA app to receive all of the latest updates and communicate with your fellow retirees.