TRTA Officer Filing Form
Running for TRTA Officer Positions
If you are a qualified member interested in running for a TRTA office, please complete the filing form and submit it to the TRTA office. In accordance with the TRTA Bylaws, the elected officers of the association shall be President, First Vice–President, Second Vice–President, and Secretary/Treasurer. Below are steps governing the election of TRTA Officers:
Article VII: Officers of the Organization
TRTA shall have the following statewide officers, who shall be elected or appointed as specified:
1. The officers elected by the House of Delegates shall be the President, First Vice–President, Second Vice–President, and Secretary/ Treasurer. A candidate for any of these offices shall have been a participating member of TRTA and of a Local Unit for at least three (3) years, and shall have served as an elected officer of a District or Local Unit, but need not have served as a statewide officer.
Article VIII: Nominations, Elections, and Installation
The House of Delegates shall elect the officers by secret ballot at the annual TRTA Convention. A majority vote shall elect. If no majority vote is achieved, a run–off election shall be conducted between the two (2) candidates receiving the most votes. If there is only one (1) nominee for an office, a vote for that office may be by voice.
TRTA Policy: Operations
Elections of Officers
Nominating Committee Guidelines
The TRTA staff solicits nominations for candidates to statewide office in the Third and Fourth Quarter issues of the TRTA publication. Nominee forms are available from the TRTA office or TRTA webpage. Applicants should submit their candidate filing form to the TRTA office for verification of the qualifications for office as stated in Article VII of the Bylaws. In order to have biographical data and photos of the candidates published in the First Quarter issue of the TRTA publication, the completed filing form and a printable color photo must be in the TRTA office no later than January 15. A packet, including the “TRTA Officers Handbook,” will be distributed to each candidate. Nominations are closed at the convention on the floor of the House of Delegates.
Campaign procedures to be followed by all candidates for TRTA office are:
1. Whether announced or unannounced as a candidate for a TRTA office, the campaigning period shall begin 90 days prior to the start of the TRTA Convention and conclude upon the election of TRTA officers.
2. TRTA shall not pay campaign expenses incurred for any candidate.
3. During the campaign period, a sitting officer who has an opponent may not use financially reimbursed assignments to district and local TRTA meetings for campaign purposes.
4. Candidates, their local unit, or their district may send campaign materials to other locals and districts and to the TRTA Board of Directors.
5. Name and address mailing labels of district and local unit presidents and the TRTA Board of Directors may be provided to TRTA officer candidates upon written request to the TRTA Executive Director. A payment of $25 is required. The request must indicate that the label information will be used only in the campaign for the current office sought.
6. Candidates will be provided e-mail and telephone contacts for campaign purposes by staff.
7. Prior to convention, a candidate may wish to prepare printed campaign materials for distribution during the convention where a table will be designated for each candidate to use for display and distribution of campaign materials.
8. The Immediate Past President will present a slate of officer nominations to the House of Delegates during the annual TRTA Convention.
9. TRTA shall not endorse any candidate.