- Organizing a New Local Unit
- Membership Forms
- Children's Book Project Forms
- Community Volunteer Service Forms
- E. L. Galyean Service Award
- Individual Membership Incentive
- Installation of Officer Scripts
- Local Unit Forms
- Officer Filing Form
- Resource Guides
- Retirement Seminar Request
- Treasurer Forms
- TRTA Bylaws
- Stilwell Residence
- Tech Resources
- Annual Reports
- TRTA App
2021-2022 Membership Form
(Fill online, print and mail to TRTA)
Association Dues Payroll Deduction Authorization TRS Form 593
(Please mail your completed TRS 593 form to TRTA, 313 E. 12th Street, Suite 200, Austin, TX 78701.)
TRTA prefers that reporting be completed on the online form, but for those without computers, the following forms may still be used.
Children’s Book Project Local Unit Report Form
Children’s Book Project District Report Form
State Award for Outstanding and Unusual Service
E. L. Galyean served as the first Executive Director of the Texas Retired Teachers Association from 1980-1992. He was named Executive Director Emeritus when he retired in 1992. The consummate educator, Mr. Galyean, with his unassuming manner and through his knowledge, leadership, service and direction, laid the groundwork for the strong, viable organization TRTA has become. This award recognizes a TRTA member for outstanding and unusual service on the State level to the Texas Retired Teachers Association and its members. The award also serves as a constant reminder of the distinctive quality of committed service rendered by Mr. E. L. Galyean to TRTA.
Guidelines for the E. L. Galyean Service Award
- A nominee must be or must have been (in case of posthumous consideration) a member of the Texas Retired Teachers Association and a local unit.
- A nominee must not currently be serving on the TRTA Board of Directors.
- A list of specific years, contributions, and offices held in TRTA – state, district, and local. As this is a state award, the major criterion will be state–level contributions.
- A list of other relevant information, e.g. civic organizations, philanthropic involvement, honors/awards received, etc.
- A recent photo of the nominee (3×5 or larger).
- A copy of the dated District minutes with the motion to nominate the individual for the award.
- The TRTA publication The VOICE (second quarter) will publish a call for the E. L. Galyean Service Award nominee annually.
- The E. L. Galyean Service Award application can be download at www.trta.org/awardapplication.
- The district executive board may submit one nomination per year to the state; the nominee may be from that district or another. The nomination may either be one selected from a local unit recommendation or one selected only from the district board.
- DEADLINE: The TRTA office must receive the nomination by November 1.
- Applications for the E. L. Galyean Service Award with any accompanying materials will be sent to the TRTA Second Vice–President from the TRTA office. The TRTA Second Vice–President will review and confirm the applications, contacting individuals if necessary to get additional or clarifying information. The Second Vice–President will bring the applications and information to the January Board of Directors meeting.
- The TRTA Board of Directors will hear from the Second Vice–President and review the printed materials that have been submitted and vote.
- A maximum of one E. L. Galyean Service Award will be made during any one year. The Board of Directors may choose not to name an award recipient during any year.
Presentation of the Award
- A presentation will be done annually for the recipient of the award.
- In addition, the Board of Directors may approve TRTA’s payment of travel expenses for the recipient to the presentation.
- A plaque with the names of all recipients is displayed in the TRTA office.
Individual Membership Incentive (Formerly Each One Bring One)
In each TRTA District, individual members will have a chance to win one of four $25 prizes. It is up to the District to determine how to award these prizes.
Running for TRTA Officer Positions
If you are a qualified member interested in running for a TRTA office, please complete the filing form and submit it to the TRTA office. In accordance with the TRTA Bylaws, the elected officers of the association shall be President, First Vice–President, Second Vice–President, and Secretary/Treasurer. Below are steps governing the election of TRTA Officers:
Article VII: Officers of the Organization
TRTA shall have the following statewide officers, who shall be elected or appointed as specified:
1. The officers elected by the House of Delegates shall be the President, First Vice–President, Second Vice–President, and Secretary/ Treasurer. A candidate for any of these offices shall have been a participating member of TRTA and of a Local Unit for at least three (3) years, and shall have served as an elected officer of a District or Local Unit, but need not have served as a statewide officer.
Article VIII: Nominations, Elections, and Installation
The House of Delegates shall elect the officers by secret ballot at the annual TRTA Convention. A majority vote shall elect. If no majority vote is achieved, a run–off election shall be conducted between the two (2) candidates receiving the most votes. If there is only one (1) nominee for an office, a vote for that office may be by voice.
TRTA Policy: Operations
Elections of Officers
Nominating Committee Guidelines
The TRTA staff solicits nominations for candidates to statewide office in the Third and Fourth Quarter issues of the TRTA publication. Nominee forms are available from the TRTA office or TRTA webpage. Applicants should submit their candidate filing form to the TRTA office for verification of the qualifications for office as stated in Article VII of the Bylaws. In order to have biographical data and photos of the candidates published in the First Quarter issue of the TRTA publication, the completed filing form and a printable color photo must be in the TRTA office no later than January 15. A packet, including the “TRTA Officers Handbook,” will be distributed to each candidate. Nominations are closed at the convention on the floor of the House of Delegates.
Campaign procedures to be followed by all candidates for TRTA office are:
1. Whether announced or unannounced as a candidate for a TRTA office, the campaigning period shall begin 90 days prior to the start of the TRTA Convention and conclude upon the election of TRTA officers.
2. TRTA shall not pay campaign expenses incurred for any candidate.
3. During the campaign period, a sitting officer who has an opponent may not use financially reimbursed assignments to district and local TRTA meetings for campaign purposes.
4. Candidates, their local unit, or their district may send campaign materials to other locals and districts and to the TRTA Board of Directors.
5. Name and address mailing labels of district and local unit presidents and the TRTA Board of Directors may be provided to TRTA officer candidates upon written request to the TRTA Executive Director. A payment of $25 is required. The request must indicate that the label information will be used only in the campaign for the current office sought.
6. Candidates will be provided e-mail and telephone contacts for campaign purposes by staff.
7. Prior to convention, a candidate may wish to prepare printed campaign materials for distribution during the convention where a table will be designated for each candidate to use for display and distribution of campaign materials.
8. The Immediate Past President will present a slate of officer nominations to the House of Delegates during the annual TRTA Convention.
9. TRTA shall not endorse any candidate.
2020-2022 Member Benefits Resource Guide-Contact the TRTA office.
Retirement Seminars can now be requested directly through TRTAConnect without having to mail in a request form. Attendees can register online and will receive a confirmation from the TRTA website.
Once you have confirmed your date with TRS, log into your local unit profile (not your personal account) on the TRTA website. Select “Retirement Seminar Request” from the top navigation menu and follow the instructions.
The TRTA state office will create an event registration portal to collect registrations on your behalf which will appear on the TRTA website at www.trta.org/retirementseminars. Once your event registration is live, you may begin marketing your event using the event brochure below.
If you cannot complete the event request yourself, please enlist the assistance of another local unit officer or contact the TRTA Membership Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarship and Grant Reporting Forms
Tax Reporting Forms
Treasurer Mandatory Bonding Form, TR-1 and TR-2 are now Fillable!
Stilwell Retirement Residence has long been a retirement community for educators all across Texas. Stilwell’s stories and background are an important part of the history of educators in Texas. To learn more about Stilwell and their retirement community, please visit their website.
The TRTA App is Here, Download it Today!
With in-person functions cancelled through the end of the year, it is more important than ever to connect with each other in the digital world. Now, there’s an app for that! TRTA’s new mobile app can be used year-round and seamlessly interfaces with current TRTA technologies and databases.
Download the TRTA app to by going to your device’s app store and searching for “TRTA” or using the links below. The app is available for both Android and Apple users and for both cellular phones and tablets but does not have an interface for computers at this time.
The TRTA.org website and the TRTA mobile app use the same username and password. For most, your username is your member ID and your password is trta123. Please email email@example.com for any assistance with your login credentials.
It Pays to Participate
Everyone who downloads the TRTA mobile app and logs in by October 31 will be entered into a prize drawing to win one of over 50 gifts cards as a thank you! Winners will be able to choose from several great store options, and prizes will be delivered electronically by email. Anyone who has already logged into the app is automatically entered. Don’t miss out on winning one of the following prizes:
- 2 – $100 store gift cards
- 10 – $50 store gift cards
- 20 – $25 store gift cards
- 20 – $15 store gift cards
App Features and Highlights
With one app, you will be able to stay connected with your peers and fellow retirees every day!
- Push Notifications: Never miss a beat by receiving push notifications (similar to text messages) directly to your phone
- Forums: Discuss TRTA-related or lifestyle topics and stay connected with fellow retirees in this increasingly disconnected time
- Resources: Access the library to download membership forms and documents that every member needs
- News Feed: Read and comment on the most current Inside Line and learn about legislation that might affect you
- Directory: Find other app users you can network with, regardless of your geographic location
- Events: Explore the calendar of upcoming (virtual) TRTA events
- Contests: Participate in contests and prize drawings; get started today to increase your chances of winning!