State Award for Outstanding and Unusual Service
E. L. Galyean served as the first Executive Director of the Texas Retired Teachers Association from 1980-1992. He was named Executive Director Emeritus when he retired in 1992. The consummate educator, Mr. Galyean, with his unassuming manner and through his knowledge, leadership, service and direction, laid the groundwork for the strong, viable organization TRTA has become. This award recognizes a TRTA member for outstanding and unusual service on the State level to the Texas Retired Teachers Association and its members. The award also serves as a constant reminder of the distinctive quality of committed service rendered by Mr. E. L. Galyean to TRTA.
Guidelines for the E. L. Galyean Service Award
1. A nominee must be or must have been (in case of posthumous consideration) a member of the Texas Retired Teachers Association and a local unit.
2. A nominee must not currently be serving on the TRTA Board of Directors.
3. A list of specific years, contributions, and offices held in TRTA – state, district, and local. As this is a state award, the major criterion will be state-level contributions.
4. A list other relevant information, e.g. civil organizations, philanthropic involvement, honors/awards received, etc.
5. A recent photo of the nominee (3×5 or larger).
1. The TRTA publication The VOICE (second quarter) will publish a call for the E. L. Galyean Service Award nominee annually.
2. The district executive board may submit one nomination per year to the state; the nominee may be from that district or another. The nomination may either be one selected from a local unit recommendation or one selected only from the district board.
3. DEADLINE: The TRTA office must receive the nomination by December 15.
1. Applications for the E. L. Galyean Service Award with any accompanying materials will be sent to the TRTA Second Vice–President from the TRTA office. The TRTA Second Vice-President will review and confirm the applications, contacting individuals if necessary to get additional or clarifying information. The Second Vice– President will bring the applications and information to the January Board of Directors meeting.
2. The TRTA Board of Directors will hear from the Second Vice–President and review the printed materials that have been submitted and vote.
3. A maximum of one E. L. Galyean Service Award will be made during any one year. The Board of Directors may choose not to name an award recipient during any year.
Presentation of the Award
1. The recipient or representative will receive the award at the Texas Retired Teachers Association Convention.
2. In addition, the Board of Directors may approve TRTA’s payment of travel expenses to the convention for the recipient of this award or designee.
A plaque with the names of all recipients is displayed in the TRTA office.