On behalf of the TRTA Board of Directors and the TRTA staff, I want to wish all of you a happy Memorial Day. We want to thank all of you who have not only served in our public classrooms, but to say a special “Thank You” to those who have also served in our armed forces. As the son of a retired US Army veteran, I know first-hand the time commitment and personal sacrifice our soldiers make in the name of protecting our freedoms.
Since 1997, the country has observed a National Moment of Remembrance at 3:00 PM (your local time). This one minute of silence is to reflect on all those who have served in our nation’s military and for those who made the ultimate sacrifice. It is also an important educational opportunity to tell younger generations about those who have served in our military.
Tomorrow is Primary Day. Many of you may have already participated in early voting, and we appreciate your participation in the political process. For those who have not yet voted, here are some important things to remember before going to the polls.
· Many of tomorrow’s primary elections will be decided by the thinnest of margins. Your vote WILL make a difference.
· You may think that your preferred candidate is “going to win without my vote.” That may not be the case! Everyone needs to think about their preferred candidate and then go and vote. Many groups have organized and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to influence these elections…your participation is critical.
· Primary turn out has traditionally been relatively low. This cycle may be an exception. Considering retirees are generally the higher percentage of voters, and that TRTA members are even more aware of the issues and candidates important to them, your power in the polls cannot be overstated.
· Many candidates have contacted TRTA about their support for the Defined Benefit plan and the TRS-Care health insurance program. When you go and vote, make sure your preferred candidate knows you supported their effort and that look forward to working with them on the TRTA legislative agenda.
· TAKE THE TIME TO VOTE. SOMEONE ELSE IS COUNTING ON YOU TO STAY HOME AND THEY WANT TO STEAL YOUR INFLUENCE AND SILENT YOUR VOICE. LET’S MAKE SURE THEY HEAR TRTA LOUD AND CLEAR.
Have a great Memorial Day! Your support and membership helps TRTA protect and improve benefits for over 300,000 TRS retirees. Thank You for all you are doing to keep TRTA strong!!