- Invite your legislators to TRTA Day at the Capitol on April 3!
- Please be sure to share our press release about convention and Day at the Capitol with your fellow retirees and local media outlets.
- Please pay attention to the weather forecast. Some recent forecasts have indicated there could be rain and thunderstorms in the Austin area the week of April 1. Pack an umbrella or poncho!
TRTA 66th Annual Convention Details
The Texas Retired Teachers Association (TRTA) 66th Annual Convention begins Monday, April 1, 2019. The two-day event is followed by a TRTA Day at the Capitol on April 3.
Early registration for the convention is now closed. Late (on-site) registration will begin on April 1 at 10:00 a.m. The TRTA state office will be closed, as all staff are attending the convention. If you have any questions about your registration or delegate certification, please contact our Membership Department at email@example.com or communicate with the staff at the registration booth on the 6th floor.
- 66th Annual TRTA Overall Convention Schedule
- Training and Informational Sessions Schedule
- Austin Hilton Hotel Maps
Legislation is always a key focus of our annual conventions, and this year our members are excited to learn more about legislation filed this session to make the TRS pension fund actuarially sound and provide retirees with some financial relief.
During the Legislative Luncheon being held on April 2, members will hear from TRTA Executive Director Tim Lee, Senator Bryan Hughes, Representative Mary Gonzalez, Representative Greg Bonnen, and TRS Executive Director Brian Guthrie and about what potential solutions are on the table and how it will affect retirees.
Members will also be able to attend a special legislative pep rally that occurs after the House of Delegates on April 2. Legislative Coordinator Tonna Duke and the Austin legislative team will provide updates on the 86th Legislative Session, including what is happening with bills such as HB 9 and SB 12 and the state’s budget bills. Ms. Duke will share techniques and materials to help members advocate during TRTA Day at the Capitol on April 3.
Day at the Capitol Details
Day at the Capitol, which is open to all convention attendees as well as any member or friend who wishes to join us, will occur on Wednesday, April 3! TRTA is expecting nearly 2000 attendees for this day of grassroots lobbying. Attendees will receive a special #RaisetheBase bracelet and sticker to wear while supplies last.
Schedule of Events
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Legislative Visits (optional)
9:30 a.m. House Gallery (head to gallery at 9:00 a.m.)
10:30 a.m. Senate Gallery (head to gallery at 10:00 a.m.)
11:30 a.m. or 12:00 p.m. Rally on the East Lawn
12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Social
12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Additional Legislative Visits (optional)
Capitol Grounds and Building Maps
Capitol Directory of Legislator Offices
Day at the Capitol Quick Tips
- Wear red!
- Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- If you’re attending convention, bring your convention bag and name badge with you.
- If you are not attending convention, please consider bringing a bag from home.
- Bring business cards if you plan to meet with legislators or staffers.
- Carry your identification and any pertinent medical information you may need in case of an emergency.
- To set an appointment with your legislators, call the Legislator Hotline (888.674.3788) and speak with the scheduler in your Senator’s or Representative’s office.
- There is more than one line to enter the Capitol! If the line is too long at the east door, please consider going to the south or north doors for quicker access. The only wheelchair accessible entrance is the north door.
- Email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will post them to Facebook.
Shuttles and Parking
Convention attendees may ride a shuttle from the Hilton to the Capitol. Shuttles will begin running in 20-minute intervals at approximately 7:00 a.m. and will run continuously until 4:00 p.m. (final pickup).
If you are travelling to Austin on April 3 or prefer to park near the Capitol you may do so in one of the state parking garages located along San Jacinto Street (between 12th, 13th and 14th streets). From the state garages, the east lawn is a short walk of one block to the west.
If you are with a large group arriving on April 3, please be aware that buses must unload passengers on the east side of the Texas Capitol (on Brazos street). Buses may park along Trinity Street.
TRTA is the voice for public education retirees, and we want to be seen and heard on April 3! Let’s get as many TRTA members and friends as possible in Austin for this important legislative event!
Let your legislators know we are looking forward to seeing them on April 3! Call 888.674.3788 to reach out to your legislators now or send them an email.