Dear TRTA Members and Supporters,
As you know, two bills have advanced through the Legislature that provide additional funding for TRS-Care. These two bills are Senate Bill 19 and House Bill 20.
With only a few days left in special session, the work on TRS-Care is not done and this session could end without a bill advancing to the Governor to help retirees.
Here are some things you need to know:
- With so little time left in the session, we need action;
- TRS-Care can be improved if the Legislature reaches consensus and advances this issue;
- Retired educators NEED help and we need it now;
- We need legislative leadership from Governor Abbott, Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick and Speaker Joe Straus to unify on a plan so that a bill helping TRS-Care is advanced!
TRTA members and supporters, now is the time to engage! Do not wait until session is over to ask what your legislator did to help you.
Please call the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and Speaker of the House today!
Make a plan to call every day until special session is over or until a strategy is identified to help TRS-Care and a bill is passed! Stay up to date on our Facebook, Twitter, and email updates.
Please share this message when you call:
Governor Abbott/Lieutenant Governor Patrick/Speaker Straus:
- TRS-Care needs help.
- Additional appropriation has been identified to help TRS-Care. Plans have been developed on how to use these dollars.
- But, progress is advancing slowly and time is very short!
- Please support Senators Jane Nelson and Joan Huffman and Representatives John Zerwas and Trent Ashby and come together on a plan to finish the job on TRS-Care.
(800) 843-5789 – Information and Referral Hotline (for Texas callers)
(512) 463-1782 – Information and Referral and Opinion Hotline (for Austin, Texas and out-of-state callers)
Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick
The Texas Lieutenant Governor Comment Line: (512) 463-5342
The Texas Lieutenant Governor Office Line: (512) 463-0001
Speaker Joe Straus
Or use toll-free Legislator Hotline: 888.674.3788
TRTA members, we are at a point in session when there is no such thing as too much communication. Approximately $212.7 million additional appropriation is at stake! These funds will reduce premiums or out-of-pocket costs for TRS-Care participants.
Use the numbers above to call Governor Abbott, Lieutenant Governor Patrick, and Speaker Straus today.
Remember, TRTA always maintains a professional and encouraging approach in our advocacy efforts. We want the Legislature to want to help us. No one is effective when attacking those who have the power to help. If they choose not to help us, your most effective recourse is your vote.
This is the last push before the end of the special session. TRTA never quits, never stops, never slows down, and never gives up. If you can help send some additional power in our direction with some phone calls, I know it will have an impact.
Thank you for your strong support of this organization. If you are not a member, please consider joining TRTA. The defense of your pension and health care benefits is a full-time, all-the-time responsibility. This is what we do, but we cannot do it without you.
Texas Retired Teachers Association
Thank you for your membership to TRTA. If you are not yet a member of TRTA, please join today.
Be sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our YouTube channel.