As members of the Texas Retired Teachers Association (TRTA) may know, the first special session of the 87th Legislature called by Governor Greg Abbott that began on July 8 ends this Friday, August 6.
Overview for TRTA members from this special session:
- Governor Abbott added the thirteenth check/supplemental payment to the special session agenda.
- Two bills were filed to provide a supplemental payment: SB 7 by Senator Joan Huffman (R—Houston) and HB 85 by Representative Glenn Rogers (R—Mineral Wells).
- The bills, if passed, would have provided a supplemental payment to eligible TRS retirees who retired on or before December 31, 2020, capped at $2,400.
- SB 7 passed the Senate. HB 85 passed out of the House Pensions, Investments, and Financial Services (PIFS) Committee.
- Both bills are unlikely to move forward as there is a lack of quorum in the Texas House to resolve pending business.
- At this time, it seems unlikely that this special session will end with the supplemental check being passed.
- However, according to this article, lawmakers expect Governor Abbott to call another special session.
TRTA will work to ensure a benefit enhancement for TRS retirees is included in any additional special sessions that may be called.
TRTA Launches New Video Series: Candid Conversations
If you are a bit discouraged about the update above, PLEASE check out this new TRTA series called “Candid Conversations.” In our first video, Texas State Representative Drew Darby talks about his relationship with retired teachers and his call to “never give up!”
Rep. Darby filed a cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) bill for retired educators during the current special session.
Stay tuned to our Facebook page and YouTube channel for more episodes coming soon!
Let’s Make Some Noise about the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP)
At the federal level, TRTA continues to work with the Public Retirees Alliance to pass legislation to modify the harmful Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP).
TRTA has created a map of Texas that shows which U.S. Representatives support H.R. 2337, filed by Rep. Richard Neal (D – MA). The bill needs many more cosponsors!
Use your mouse and hover over the map and see if your U.S. Representative has not yet signed on to cosponsor H.R. 2337. If they have not, please contact them today and ask for their support! (Contact information for your Representative appears when you hover over the map).
TRTA members, let’s raise awareness on this now while Congressional members are back in Texas for the summer recess!
Please stay tuned to the Inside Line for news, as well as information about bills that are filed and urgent Action Alerts that will be needed on our vital issues!
The TRTA membership drive is underway for the coming 2021-22 membership year. No other group focuses solely on your TRS retirement security! Please join us today! If you’re already a member, be sure to renew your dues.
Thank you for being a member of TRTA and supporting issues that affect retired Texas public school personnel. Be sure to download the TRTA app to receive all of the latest updates and communicate with your fellow retirees.